Browser for XP

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

uniontractor
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Browser for XP

Postby uniontractor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 pm

My Windows XP old computer will not connect to the net with any of the browsers I have tried. I tried Firefox, Opera, Kmelion, Explorer, etc. I guess you need a working browser to download another browser and none of mine works. I read that as much as 25% of systems in use still use XP although I realize it is not safe and secure. Surely there is a way for me to download a browser that will work on XP. I have been able to download executable files that indicate they will download one of these browsers but they do not respond when I open them from my download folder!
Is there a way for me to download a browser that will work on XP ???? I plan to be very careful when using one if I can find one. I intend to use the old computer mainly for storage and office documents.

Gerrit
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Re: Browser for XP

Postby Gerrit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 pm

It beats me why you would want to go online with XP but that's none of my business, I guess. :shock:

If you want to keep using that old 'puter to go online you'd be a lot better of by installing a Linux version..

But, if you really want to go online with XP you can try Opera v. 36. Try downloading here: https://www.opera.com/download/index.dm ... .0.2130.46 and don't go to a newer version - it won't work on XP.
You would have to download it with another computer and copy the downloaded file to a USB stick an install it on the XP box from there.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

uniontractor

Postby uniontractor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Gerrit, you are a genius! I downloaded the Opera Set UP program and copied it to a thumb drive and put the drive into the old computer and ran the set up program there. Amazing, it did download the old Opera browser just as you said! I don't know how you located the set up program to download the old Opera browser but it worked great. \
I bet that if I would download an old Firefox program in the same way, I could get the Firefox browser
to connect to Gmail where I could use the voice to make free phone calls as I did for a long time until it quit working for me. As I noted earlier, I lost that ability on my desk top running windows 7 and yet, my laptop running the windows 7 still works great on phone calls thru Gmail, using Firefox browser. I bet that somehow the laptop is running an old version of FF and the desktop is running a newer version.
Don't worry about me running XP on the old computer, I just wanted a working browser for an emergency and plan to use the old computer mainly for storage to back up Office spreadsheets, etc. I don't care about the old computer anyway since I have thumbdrives backing up these items as well. I am really backed up as I have a fear of losing my spreadsheets and photos and music.
This forum is the best thing I have found to ask simple questions and get expert advice.
How are things in Peurto Rico.....i read somewhere that they will need 65,000 telephone poles! Amazing!

uniontractor

Postby uniontractor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 pm

The browser does work but it is very slow compared to my desktop windows 7. The youtube videos do a lot of buffering, stopping and starting also.
I wish I could just wipe the old XP computer clean and start it over. I have a "Recovery CD" and a "Operating System CD" and a "nVideo Video Driver CD" Is that all I need? What is the procedure? I don't want to lose my "Office Program" however! I have never tried to reload an operating system or remove other junk. Is the single CD titled "Operating System" really the complete system? Seems to me like it should take more than a single CD.

Return to “Ask your questions here!”