Scared the whey out of myself

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

Fawteen
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Scared the whey out of myself

Postby Fawteen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 am

Did my usual turn the computer on and start the coffee machine this morning. Came back in the den with my coffee and had a completely different desktop with a little bubble saying something blah..blah..blah..."any files created will be deleted when you log off."

Sure seemed like a virus. Booted into safe mode and ran a full MSE scan, nothing found.

Rebooted and got "user profile could not be loaded" and it would exit to a black screen.

Rebooted into Safe Mode again and had it start from the last known good boot. Back in business and spreadsheet updates from yesterday were still present so it's current.

Also, when trying to connect my Kindle via my wireless DSL Modem it failed to authenticate even when manually re-entering the password. Did a power reset on the modem and that cleared up.

Not at ALL sure what precipitated all this, but I think I'll back up critical files today... :shock:

Gerrit
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Re: Scared the whey out of myself

Postby Gerrit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:35 am

Fawteen wrote:Not at ALL sure what precipitated all this, but I think I'll back up critical files today... :shock:

The latter is ALWAYS a good plan. :D

You did good by restoring a known good configuration.

For future problems you may want to consider Malwarebytes. I have been running it 'forever' on my Windows boxes and it saved my butt many times. The Premium version is the best but that is now a ($ 39.99/yr) subscription. I am lucky to own a couple of lifetime subscriptions that they sold for $25 back in the days.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “Ask your questions here!”