Wireless Stopped Working

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

AllenDB
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Wireless Stopped Working

Postby AllenDB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:22 pm

The battery in my old laptop stopped functioning. I finally replaced it and brought the machine back up. Hmmmm, the date it says is Jan 1 1980. Yeah, old. I got the date fixed but there were other minor glitches. Did the machine reset it self? Did the CMOS battery fail too and come back on? Its been up and running fine with one MAJOR problem. I can't get the wireless adapter to work. I keep getting the "Media disconnected" for the "Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN #2" adapter.
I've done the netsh thing which I successfully used once in the past. But this time to no avail. The response is "Reseting Echo Request Failed, Access is denied"
On the keyboard there is a blue light that says wireless on. Could a new CMOS battery fix the wireless problem?

Gerrit

Re: Wireless Stopped Working

Postby Gerrit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi and welcome to Newbies!

It looks like the CMOS battery needs replacement and yes, that could be (part of) the problem.
If you can replace the CMOS battery, go ahead and do it. It won't cost you an arm and a leg.

If the WiFi still won't work after you did that, please tell us the brand and model of your laptop and which operating system you're using. We'll take it form there.

Also, is the wired network connection working, can you get online with that?
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

AllenDB

Postby AllenDB » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Replaced CMOS battery. "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" still fails with the same message.
I've got an HP 6530b laptop. Bit old but has been running fine for the last year or more. I buy 2nd hand laptops.
Will have to find a lan cable for the wired adapter but it is "Media Disconnected" too:<((
On a different path, I can't remember the steps that get me to the screen where I can fill in the ip address, domain server and other stuff. I'm not sure but if I manually supply that info might the adapter work even if it says "Media Disconnected"?

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm really busy right now, in the weekend I'll come back to you with some detailed info.

The broad idea should be to go back to basics. First check in Control-panel-network and sharing center- adapter settings if the wireless adapter is installed and enabled.
Via control panel -system-device manager you can uninstall the driver(s) for the wireless card and install newly downloaded (from HP) drivers.

If that fails you may have a hardware problem.

Another approach that I use while troubleshooting is booting the machine with a Linux USB stick, Linux Mint or Puppy is what I use a lot but any Linux distribution will do.
Most of the recent Linux distributions will automatically detect and install wireless cards.
If works under Linux you know there's no hardware problem and then there's most likely a driver problem.

If the above won't get you any further or if you have problems doing what I suggest, let me know and I'll give detailed instructions.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

AllenDB

Postby AllenDB » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Problem solved. Had to go into the BIOS and hit Factory Defaults. Thanks.

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 am

Glad you got it fixed. :)
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “Ask your questions here!”