DSL filters

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

hopeless

DSL filters

Post by hopeless » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:28 pm

I have trouble hearing over the phone these last few years. I've been blaming it on cell phones, but I'm wondering if it can be my DSL filters. Do they need to be replaced periodically? What is the best brand to buy. I have Century Link now, just got a new modem from them and forgot to ask for new filters. Do I have to bite the bullet and go thru the horror that is their menu stream and buy from them? They no longer have retail stores. I found that out trying to get a modem from the retail store that used to be right here in my town.
Hope

Pogo said, “We have met the enemy and he is us.”

Gerrit

Re: DSL filters

Post by Gerrit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

There's an easy way to check it out. Just remove the DSL filter from your (main) phone connector and plug in the phone directly. If the sound quality is a lot better you may need a new filter.

Amazon sells them for 11 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/FYL-Suttle-SE-90 ... B07GNM4RTV

I am pretty sure I have a couple brand new DSL filters in a box with parts. They're like 7, 8 years old but never used. I'd be happy to send you a couple, just let me know and I'll go digging. :D
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Hmmm, think I'll go back to blaming cell phones.
I don't understand the check you suggested. Don't I need someone to call me after I disconnect it?
I've been googling all I can think of and some people are saying the sellers want you to buy new every 3 months to a year. Most commenters are practicing their satire skills. The answer I liked best was they need to be replaced only if they get struck by lightening.

I think I will pass on your eight year olds but thank you for the offer. It did remind me I had an extra one Century Link gave me. They gave me 4 and I need 3. (No I'm not using one on the modem connection). I had labeled the extra Never Used and 02/2017. That means they are all 2017. I replaced the main one upstairs that connects to my hand sets with it. I have an old phone that stays right where it's at and has a battery back up so it's usable when the electricity goes. (More dependable than me charging and keeping my cell where I can find it.) My basement has an old 2 piece hand set so it needs a filter also. (I prefer my land line because I hear better on them than on my cell. I don't have a smart phone).

In googling I found instructions if there is static or no dial tone by phone companies. That is not my problem. My main hand sets upstairs must be 10 or more years old. Maybe a good excuse to replace them?

Shopping for dsl filters, I found one at Home Depot with good reviews and is $7.39. I will try that next (plan B). Then a new phone (plan C). Then back to blaming cell phones.
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 am

It could also be that your WiFi is to blame. Is the phone base station close to the modem/wifi router? As much distance between these two is reducing the interference.
Also if the modem/router can be configured to use a different frequency (from 2.5 to 5 GHz) it will reduce or completely avoid interference. What is the brand and model of your modem/router? I can check if and how you can change the frequency.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:05 pm

I have a Century Link
Model Number: C1100T
802.11n WIFI Router

I don't what a phone base station is.
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 am

A phone base station is the part in which you put the handset. Something like this:

I checked the manual for your modem/router and that one cannot be changed to a different frequency. That means that the best you can do is make sure the modem is as far away from the phone base station as possible to avoid interference.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Thank you for checking on changing frequency. In my travels on google someone had mentioned that but it went over my head because I didn't know what to do about it, so I kept moving on to an easy fix that I could understand. It appears there are endless possibilities to the interference.

I think my base is far enough away. It's in the kitchen with a laundry room and bathroom in between my computer room to kitchen. I'm going to try a few things. Get rid of my ancient cordless phone in the basement and take a handset from my upstairs cordless. I do have one to spare. Gonna look at new cordless phones because one of my handsets loses power so easily its annoying. I'd set it aside for a year because it didn't want to recharge and didn't really need. Then decided to try charging it again and it works now. somewhat. None of this my help the interference but won't hurt to do it anyway.

I'm getting that dsl filters are really not the problem as long as a person is using one.
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Do you use WiFi in the house? You do if you connect a laptop and/or a phone/tablet wireless to the internet.

If you only have a desktop computer and connect it with a cable to the modem/router you don't need WiFi and then a solution would be to simply disable WiFi in the modem setup. That should effectively stop any interference.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 pm

woah! It seems I don't use my WiFi.
I don't have a clue how to disable it? Once it's disabled can I reset it if I ever do need it? Do I call Century Link?
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:20 pm

hopeless wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 pm
woah! It seems I don't use my WiFi.
I don't have a clue how to disable it?
That's not too difficult, I'll walk you through he process.
First check if there's a sticker on the modem with some data.
You'll need: GUI Address (this is most likely 192.168.0.1)
Admin user name (most likely: admin)
Admin Password.

Next open (a new tab in) your browser and enter the GUI Address and hit enter.
This is what you should see:

Now enter user name and password and click on Apply.

The next window looks like this.

Click on Wireless Setup.

Now you'll see something like this screen:

If you're not in the Basic Settings screen, click on Basic Settings in the left hand column.

Now click on Disable in "Set the wireless radio state" and next click Apply.

Close the browser window and you're all set, WiFi is disabled.
Should you ever need it in the future, refer to these instructions and change the state to enabled.

If there's still interference you may have to go back to blame it on cell phones (but I hope not. :) )
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Okay that's easy even for me to understand. :D Bless you!!

First I'm going to try a new cordless hand set I just bought an hour ago. It has DECT 6.0 Plus which promises to remedy the issue.
If not, I'm going with disable. I wanted a new set with call block feature and bigger numbers anyway.
Hope

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

OOPS! :lol:
Easy, just went in and disabled my wireless. Turns out it is married to my internet and I no longer had internet. Lucky for me the tech support at Century Link was able to enable it for me.
I told him I why I did it and he gave me a direct (I hope he isn't lying) number to call for help with my land line. Not tonight tho, I'm exhausted.
I bought new cordless set, decided there was a much better one on Amazon. Ordered that, then returned the first one to Best Buy here in town. Came home and revisited the one I ordered, determined it didn't have the kind of call blocking I want. Called Amazon to stop order. Too late. She gave me 2 options, tell the mail man I didn't want it and if not at home to catch him I can call for a free return address label. Just do not open it. That's when I disabled my wireless. I try to avoid calling Amazon and Century Link and it's even worse with my shxxy land line reception. Got to admit everyone I talked to was nice and helpful.
:guiness: :guiness:

I'll call right after the plumber leaves. He's coming to repair a dripping water spigot at the back of my house. I hope it doesn't turn into a big deal. :guiness:
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 pm

hopeless wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm
OOPS! :lol:
Easy, just went in and disabled my wireless. Turns out it is married to my internet and I no longer had internet.
So your computer is not connected with a network cable to the modem/router.. Oh well, good it's back up and running. :D

If you by any chance have a cable like this one:

(color doesn't matter), try to plug it into the modem/router (in any of the yellow ports) and the other end in the computer (there's only one port on the 'puter where it fits). The connector looks like a phone cable but it's a little wider (8 connecting strips, a phone cable has 6)

If you did that you should be able to diable the WiFi without losing internet. Of course you may not need that if the new phone is working fine without interference. :)
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

hopeless

Post by hopeless » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Gerrit-------You told me the hard way to turn off wireless. :mrgreen: Okay that is actually what your telling me in your last post above me.

I just talked to Larry, (had called him about a family thing) and told him about my wireless adventures. He said all I had to do is attach an ethernet cable from my modem and to my computer, click on the wireless icon that is always at the top of my computer which offers the option to click turn off wireless. I did that and I didn't lose internet. YAY!! He says I will have more privacy and faster service without it.

btw, I got my water spigot fixed easily.
My adventures with Century link were truly awful and NO they do not have a direct number to any one inside the company to give customers. They ignored my wish to have them never call my cell phone as a contact. I was to busy crabing at them about how they 'fix' land line problems to address the cell phone thing.

The salesman at Best Buy suggested I cover my modem with tinfoil because it blocks wireless signals. I rejected that right off. :roll:

I'm gonna keep my new cordless phone I ordered from Amazon because I think I deserve it.
Hope

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Well.....
I wrote this last Sunday:
Gerrit wrote:If you only have a desktop computer and connect it with a cable to the modem/router you don't need WiFi
So I assumed that you had the computer connected with an ethernet cable to the modem.

Now yo have that done I think it's still better to disable WiFi in the modem like you did the other day. The prevents the modem from sending any WiFi signal that could cause interference with the cordless phones.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional