What does everybody think about refurb desktops?

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

Fawteen

What does everybody think about refurb desktops?

Post by Fawteen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

Thinking of upgrading from Win7 to Win10 and seeing refurb Lenovo boxes with Win10 Pro for <$100 on Tiger Direct.

That would certainly take all the pain out of trying to upgrade my current box!

tacon1

Re: What does everybody think about refurb desktops?

Post by tacon1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 am

Fawteen wrote:Thinking of upgrading from Win7 to Win10 and seeing refurb Lenovo boxes with Win10 Pro for <$100 on Tiger Direct.

That would certainly take all the pain out of trying to upgrade my current box!
I am using one right now, ( a refurbished Dell with Windows 10) I thought like you, for the cost of buying Windows 10 I got a newer, faster computer....didn't take me long to figure it out. I did like Win7 better than Win10, but you can change a few things on 10 to make it look like 7 and anything else I've already got used to. I say go for it.
tacon1

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Dunno, 14, why would you want to upgrade to Windows 10?
I have it installed (in dual or triple boot with Windows 7 and Linux Mint) on most boxes here and I only use it when I really need to, mainly because I have to support a client who uses it. I don't like 10 a bit and even with a 'normal' start menu (Start 10 - $5 or Classic Shell - free) it's still Windows 10 with all the privacy issues (phone home way too much).
For my day to day work I use Windows 7 because I have quite some (Windows) programs that I bought and need for my work but lately I find myself using Linux Mint (18.3) a lot and also my MacBook Pro and less and less Windows. I'm pretty sure that when Windows 7 is not supported anymore that I'll be on Mint and Mac OS and will only use Windows 10 when I have to, on one laptop that's not in the office network.
But that's just me. :shock:

A refurbished 'puter for under 100 bucks, even with Windows 10, is a good deal. You could also run it with 10 and Linux in dual boot.. :D
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Fawteen

Post by Fawteen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, I was thinking about trying out Winders Edge for a browser. A little surfing indicates that running it on Win7 is a fustercluck.

Rethinking that at the moment as I REALLY don't want to deal with Winders 10 either.

Brave has turned into a PITA with constant updates followed in a day or two with another update to fix what they screwed up on the last update.

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

I still don't use MS browsers. I'm suffering from a long term IE frustration trauma and I simply don't believe that MS can make a good browser. I could be that Edge is good, maybe. I don't even want to find out. :roll:

I didn't try Brave lately. I mainly use Firefox and Chome these days. Both work fine.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional