Nmap Program Keeps Popping Up

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

uniontractor

Nmap Program Keeps Popping Up

Post by uniontractor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 am

A program called Nmap started popping up when I get on with my windows 7 computer. I searched under "all Programs" and cannot find it. I wonder where it is on my hard drive and what put it there. I have to click on "close program" several times to get to stop coming up.
Anyone know anything about this program and where it is on my computer?

Gerrit

Re: Nmap Program Keeps Popping Up

Post by Gerrit » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

If you never had this program before and you didn't install it, it sounds suspicious.
There is a legit application called nmap that checks and maps your network connections. It could also be that this was installed by a 'bad guy' and is something else than it pretends to be.
I'd suggest to do a full scan with your ant-virus program, and at least one of these: Malwarebytes, Super Anti Spyware. Whatever they find, quarantine and delete it.

If it is still there after you did the scans it might be innocent. You then could prevent it from starting with msconfig.
Start it with the Windows key and R. Go to the startup tab and find nmap. If it's there uncheck the checkbox and restart the computer. That should prevent it from starting.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

uniontractor

Post by uniontractor » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:44 pm

I ran Malwarebytes and quarantined the 11 items that came up. I went to msconfig and it was not there in start up. I only had a few things on startup and deleted all but those by my avast antivirus and several hewlet packard items. I don't understand why the Nmap program is not listed under "all programs" or in "uninstall programs" or "msconfig start up". I do not see where it is shown on my windows 7 computer anywhere!
msconfig is confusing to me also. Under "general" it shows "normal", "diagnostic", and "selective" startups. Mine is set for "selective start up" and under that, it is set for "load services" and "startup items".
msconfig also shows dozens of things listed under "services" which I do not understand.
The Nmap pop up I am getting sure looks like something connected with "windows" since it says "windows will close the program and notify me as to the cause". It goes away when I click on "close program" but I have to do that 4 times in a row before it quits popping up. I wonder if it is some sort of glitch in one of my windows 7 program files or something. Also , as you say, it might be some sort of malware that got on my computer.
My problem is that I just do not know how programs can hide on the computer like this. Also there is a lot of chatter when I "google" Nmap for how to uninstall Nmap program. That seems to make it complicated! Take a look at the items on how to uninstall Nmap when you google that.
Meanwhile, I will just click on "close program" when it comes up 4 times in a row

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 am

Did you try to go to control panel - programs? Is it in the list of installed programs? If yes, simply uninstall it.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

uniontractor

Post by uniontractor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Yes, I looked in the control panel to uninstall it but nothing there! I still think it might be something in the windows programs that has a glitch in it somewhere. I doubt if it in necessary since once I click the pop up off, everything seems to work ok.

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 pm

If you want I can take a look at your computer via remote. I do that for my commercial clients on a regular basis. It would be free for you as a Newbies member (first session only). Let me know....
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

NoahW

Post by NoahW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 am

Have you looked under the "Processes" tab in in the Task Manager? Being a non essential Windows program you can safely shut down from the Processes list. From there you can also find the folder it is in.
In the following links you might find several clues as how to uninstall Nmap HERE or HERE.

Noah W

uniontractor

Post by uniontractor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the offer from Gerrit. I will keep that in mind but I don't think this is a good topic to use his expertise on. In fact the Nmap has not been popping up lately and I don't know why. I did revert back to Firefox from Opera as my browser. I like Firefox better although it will not work with Gmail Voice. They say that they are working on making it work but never happens. So I just use Opera for making calls on Gmail Voice and Firefox for my other sites.
Noah had good suggestions but I could not find the location of the Nmap program anywhere. I hate it when they put things on your computer and hide them. I once said that I would never do any updates after getting a new computer!
Anyway, I appreciate the help this site has given me and think it is my best source of expert advice. I am an 80 year old retired engineer and work on my computer with windows 7 here on my farm in Union, Mo and have no one around here that is very good with computers!