!!!!!Scammed!!!!!

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

GeneSC

!!!!!Scammed!!!!!

Post by GeneSC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Ok more of a statement than a question: Sat. I went to walmart to get a new Roku box to stream 'netflix etc. to my tv. was going through the set-up and it stopped. trying to figure out the problem and the phone rang. foreign female with limited English says she is from roku support and will help me with my set-up (how did she know?) but she would need a credit card for some new channels?
I was already frustrated saying "huh" to everything she said. I don't hear very well and her english was terrible! so I gave her the cc number and somehow she took over control of my computer and finished the install. Later after I thought about it i thought that something didn't smell right and emailed roku they emailed me back on Mon. and told me there was NEVER a charge for set-up or customer support, and would NEVER take control of my computer and that I had been scammed!!
and advised me to call my cc company which I did this morning and the charge of $240.00 came from ????computer parts.com. Never heard of them so they took the charge off my card but now I have to get a new card and wait to see what happens. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
Intel (R) core (TM) 2 duo CPU
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

Gerrit

Re: !!!!!Scammed!!!!!

Post by Gerrit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 am

GeneSC wrote:was going through the set-up and it stopped. trying to figure out the problem and the phone rang. foreign female with limited English says she is from roku support and will help me with my set-up (how did she know?) but she would need a credit card for some new channels?
The main question is exactly that, how did she know?.
Did you Google Roku setup and did you click on a search result? If that's the case your damage may be limited. You may have clicked a link that doe NOT belong to Roku but pretends to be.

I would at least do a full virus scan with your anti-virus, maybe get a free online scan, too. Next do a full scan with Malwarebytes and also a full scan with SuperAntiSpyware. Until you get a clean health report from all scans I would strongly recommend o not use the outer for any financial transaction, it would be better to not go anywhere online where you have to login until you know the computer is clean. Call or email me if you need more help (you know where to find me, right?)
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 am

Gerrit wrote:
GeneSC wrote:was going through the set-up and it stopped. trying to figure out the problem and the phone rang. foreign female with limited English says she is from roku support and will help me with my set-up (how did she know?) but she would need a credit card for some new channels?
The main question is exactly that, how did she know?.
Did you Google Roku setup and did you click on a search result? If that's the case your damage may be limited. You may have clicked a link that doe NOT belong to Roku but pretends to be.

I would at least do a full virus scan with your anti-virus, maybe get a free online scan, too. Next do a full scan with Malwarebytes and also a full scan with SuperAntiSpyware. Until you get a clean health report from all scans I would strongly recommend o not use the outer for any financial transaction, it would be better to not go anywhere online where you have to login until you know the computer is clean. Call or email me if you need more help (you know where to find me, right?)
That's exactly what Roku told me, and that's what I did. googled Roku and opened a fake site.
I tried to find the free Malwarebytes but couldn't, do you do you have a link? I will try to find
"SuperAntiSpyware"
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 am

GeneSC wrote:I tried to find the free Malwarebytes but couldn't, do you do you have a link? I will try to find
"SuperAntiSpyware"
Here you go:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

https://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:07 pm

I have scanned my computer using all the virus/ malware programs you suggested. It's running good but how do i know it's completely clean?? I've changed most of my pass codes (mainly my bank accounts) no problems so far. Is there anything else i can do except "cross my fingers?" :lol:
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm

I'd also recommend to change your email passwords. If you quarantined/deleted everything that the scanners found you should be fine.
Keep a close eye on your bank account and credit card statements of some time to make sure there are no transactions that you didn't approve.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Wouldn't be a good idea to notify Google also?
Dave <*)))><

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Wouldn't be a good idea to notify Google also?
Maybe, yes. There are so many scam sites around. When one has been deleted from Googles search results the next 5 are there already.

The best advice is to be very critical when clicking on a search result from any search provider (be it Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other).

Most manufacturers (and banks) have the .com domain for their name. Just type it in the browser and there's a big chance that you land on the right site.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Mystery_Girl

Post by Mystery_Girl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Interesting thread. Gene, I know just how you feel. There are a huge number of scams going on, in my neck of the woods including auto-phone messages to say various bills haven't been paid. One of the most popular is that credit card bills are overdue.

I got this one recently but they forgot one tiny detail; not everyone is using a card for that bank. :mrgreen: