Camera Question

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

mowmud

Camera Question

Post by mowmud » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 am

I use a Kodak easyshare camera. It works good, takes good pics. My question is before I install the software that came with the camera on this 10 laptop, if there is a better way to do it with stuff found online? The software that comes with the computer is tough to use, clunky , I guess one would say. Maybe there is a better way? If you need more specifics about the camera, I can post them up, I just have to dig the disk out of whatever drawer it happens to be hiding in.
MS Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64
3200+
2.0 GHz 960 MB Ram
Dell Dimension C521

mowmud

Re: Camera Question

Post by mowmud » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:39 am

I haven't done anything with it yet. I got out and visited a old friend yesterday. He is 20 years older than me. He knows more about computers than me. We're both hi tech rednecks. He said don't run the disk(software), he said plug in the camera, wait until the computer to ask you a question, then click on 'let windows configure'. I don't know and I'm not in a hurry. I just have a picture on my cam that is relevant to the old KL. Whattizzit? I downloaded my cam yesterday to my XP, but the only way I can get them on my 10, I have to upload to photobucket, then go in and fetch them from there. Resize them... jump through hoops.I'm sitting less than 5 feet from that XP and it is still ticking me off. I ain't broke it yet.

Ohhh! It's got all my good 'old' music on it too. Gotta keep the XP alive. I'm gonna buy an external hard drive. For nothing other than my pics and my 'old' music. I like the benefit of being able to visit any library in the world without ever getting out of my chair. You don't even need to know how to type. Just gotta know how to spell. There is no substitute for my music and my pictures. Internet is just a reason to not go outside. A computer is a tool, it is supposed to work for you.
MS Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64
3200+
2.0 GHz 960 MB Ram
Dell Dimension C521

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 am

If the only thing you would like to do is to get the photos from the camera in your computer you don't need any software. Just plug the cable in the computer. Windows will (should) recognize that there's a camera connected and offer you , among other possibilities, to download the pics to the computer. Choose that option. You should also have the option to delete the pics from the camera when done downloading. I'd suggest to use that one, too since the memory of the camera is limited.

I'll come back to the other stuff after breakfast. :D
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am

Going online with the old XP computer is no good plan. The support for XP ended 4 years ago (4-8-14) and ever since there have been no security updates for XP. Any vulnerabilities (and you can be 100% sure there are many) leave an XP computer wide open for attacks by viruses etc.

The best thing to do is to transfer your files from the XP puter to the Windows 10 'puter. First make sure the XP computer is (sort of) clean by running whatever antivirus you have on it.
Next use a USB stick or external hard disk to copy your stuff to and next connect that device to you Windows 10 computer, run an antivirus scan with Windows Defender (or another anti-virus program that you may have) and copy the files to your '10' machine.

Another option would be to connect both machines with network cables to your internet router so you can do a direct copy from machine to machine.

If you want to keep the old 'puter usable after you transferred your stuff I would recommend to put Linux on it. Linux doesn't need as much horsepower as Windows so it will run fine, it's free as in beer, it's secure and it can do anything you can do with Windows.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional