An idea to help folks who are truly new to computers..

Experienced computer users will try to help you out

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

Ann

An idea to help folks who are truly new to computers..

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am

In some computer forums that I have visited, it was suggested that when asking a question, it would be helpful to have information about the asker's computer. It is hard to diagnose problems when we don't know what kind of computer, operating system (OS), what the processor speed is and how much Random Access Memory you have. It may not help solve every problem to have this information but it does help to solve a lot of the problems that Newbies.

In XP or lower systems, it is fairly easy to find this information. Just either right-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, choose Properties, and the info is on the General tab. Or you can go Start>Control Panel>System to find the System Properties.

Then you can put it in your signature, or just type it in with your question, something like this:

Code: Select all

[color=#BF0000]computer brand and type (desktop / laptop)
Operating system
other operating system if dual boot
processor
MB or GB of RAM([/color])

And, if you use only one browser (i. e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.) it may help to add that to the information.

Thanks, Ann
Wisdom comes from what you learn in your life.

hopeless

Re: An idea to help folks who are truly new to computers..

Post by hopeless » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Ann,
Good idea to get basic info together.

Here's the best i know from your example. It doesn't match your's but would this do the job?

Dell desktop
Windows XP, Media Center, SP3
Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.40 GHz 3.39GHz
1.00 GB RAM

Let me know if this is more than necessary also.
Hope

Pogo said, “We have met the enemy and he is us.”

Ann

Re: An idea to help folks who are truly new to computers..

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am

Hope, that's great. I used the dark red ( color=#BF0000 ) and put it in my signature.

Gerrit will probably edit my post (I hope) and make a sticky out of it so that folks will notice it and use it. It would sure make it easier to sort out some problems.

Ann
Wisdom comes from what you learn in your life.