Anyone ever convert cassette tapes to digital?

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

Dieselrider
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Anyone ever convert cassette tapes to digital?

Postby Dieselrider » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 am

I have been trying to use one windows machine here and using their sound recorder to record the tapes onto the windows box as WMA files, then saving them to a flash drive and converting them on my Linux box from wma to MP3. These are old Cassettes that we have had for years and they don't get played as cassette have almost gone the way of the 8 track.

However, One tape might work well and the next one would just be mostly background noise . Has anyone ever had any success converting tapes to digital format? Thanks
DR
MX-15.01
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

Salmoneye
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Re: Anyone ever convert cassette tapes to digital?

Postby Salmoneye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:40 pm

I did years ago...

Not sure why you would record from tape as WMA...

The ones I recorded went from tape to WAV, then to MP3...

As for background noise...The recording will only be as good as the source tape...

If you have a lot of hiss to begin with, you will end up with a lot of hiss in the MP3...

Did you try turning on the Dolby Noise Reduction on the cassette player before recording to the computer?

Dieselrider

Postby Dieselrider » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Sorry, I meant WAV. No Dolby noise reduction on this tape deck. I think it has to do with the volume controls for the input output when recording. However using MS software to transfer seems glichy. One tape will come out okay and the next or even side 2 will come out noisy. What is funny (read ironic) is that 2 tapes I had made myself from albums years ago have come out pretty decent and the tapes that were bought and paid for seem to be problematic.

I am attempting to use Audacity on this box or on my laptop to see if I can get some consistency in the final product. Thanks.
DR
MX-15.01
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

Dieselrider

Postby Dieselrider » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Seems to be coming out better using Audacity on my linux laptop. Able to keep a pretty reasonable copy without much noise. I just couldn't get it to regulate in Windows sound converter. I'll know much more once i urn a few discs and listen that way but, on playing them back on my computer they sound good.
DR
MX-15.01
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

Salmoneye
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Postby Salmoneye » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Please keep us updated, as I am interested...

Truthfully, I don't even remember what I used for a capture device...

Can't remember any computer I have had with RCA in...

:?

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:11 am

Sorry I'm late.. I would have recommended Audacity as well, great program and free as in beer. There are all kinds of filter plug-ins available that could help getting rid of unwanted noise but of course the quality of the original cassette is important. Look here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Impro ... ring_Audio
If you get the Lame mp3 encoder (really, the name is Lame :shock: http://lame.sourceforge.net/) you can export from Audacity to MP3 without the need to first store the file as WAV or similar.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Dieselrider

Postby Dieselrider » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I had to go look to confirm that i have lame installed and it is. I have been exporting the files right out of Audacity into mp3 files as you mention. I have not been going through and numbering and labeling each individual track as i have seen on someone doing one video. That would be nice but, just converting them seems to be plenty time consuming as it is.

I will check back and let you know how they come out once i burn a cd or two. Someone over on the mepis/ MX board suggested burning them as a data CD rather than an audio CD. He said he could not tell the sound difference and that you could get about 8 hours of music on one CD that way rather than one hour or so. I thought it might be worth a try. Any one have input on this? Thanks.
DR
MX-15.01
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Dieselrider wrote:Someone over on the mepis/ MX board suggested burning them as a data CD rather than an audio CD. He said he could not tell the sound difference and that you could get about 8 hours of music on one CD that way rather than one hour or so. I thought it might be worth a try. Any one have input on this? Thanks.

It depends on where you are going to play the CDs. If that's a computer or another device that can handle MP3 files making a data CD with mp3 files is the better solution, 8 hours of music on one CD sounds about right.
An audio CD player (as in your stereo set or car CD player) can't read the mp3 format so for those players your only choice is making an audio CD.
I personally have my music stored as mp3 files on NAS hard disks and play them directly on the computer. I bought a good set of studio monitor speakers for my 'puter a couple of years ago so it sounds more than acceptable. :listen:
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “Audio Board”