I need a recording device for meetings

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

CajunCharlie
Enter the number thirty two: 0

I need a recording device for meetings

Postby CajunCharlie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 am

One of the veteran's group I belong requires that all meetings be recorded. We have been using a cassette recorder for years, but blank tapes are getting harder to find. Any suggestions for a decent digital recorder? It needs to pick up voices in a classroom size room.
Paddle Faster! I hear banjos playing!

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am

Digital voice recorders are very nice. They do a great job at capturing sound in a fairly large room. Price matters though. The more you spend the better the device ---> better range, better audio quality, longer record time, noise cancellation, etc.

You can spend as little as $10 or as much as $300. I would think a reasonable compromise is the $50-100 range.

You typically end up with an MP3 audio stream of the event(s) you recorded. The key is to then do something with the MP3 stream such as move it to a computer for long term storage. MP3 streams can eat up disk space so be aware of that when you jump into numerous large MP3 files.

Overall though ... the quality of sound is usually much better than analog cassette recordings.
- Peanut/Larry

CajunCharlie

Postby CajunCharlie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Hey Larry, just wanted to let you know that I got this recorder for the guys:

Does a great job, and those "old" Marines can operate it. Got it from Best Buy for $104.
Paddle Faster! I hear banjos playing!

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Good deal Charlie. It looks nice.

You say even old Marines can operate it? Does that mean it has a safety handle/lever and a ring pin? 8)
- Peanut/Larry

Return to “Audio Board”