I need a recording device...revisited

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

joy21942
Enter the number thirty two: 0

I need a recording device...revisited

Postby joy21942 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 pm

I am new to this list, and came here just to find out what I should have for digital recording of the church services here. I have used a Zen & am actually very happy with the quality of what is recorded. What I have trouble with is getting it from the Zen to the computer, and then editing it to save only parts of it, or even separating it into 4-5 tracks. I used Real for a long time, and it seemed to work well, but now, when I play back the CD I make from it, there is always a distortion like a "stuck vinal record" you remember that!?
I would be willing to buy a different recorder, but I would like to know of some (hopefully free) software that would enable me to do what I want with it.
Joy in Mo, thankful I live 20-30 miles from MT Lake!

George in TX

Postby George in TX » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 pm

Hello joy and welcome to Newbies. Sorry I can't help with your problem but I did want to extend a big Texas Howdy! to you.

Peanut, who lives very close to MT lake, will likely provide some help for you and there are other experienced users who will show up too I'm sure.
We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
--Ronald Reagan

Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop
Windows XP Pro v. 2002 SP3
Intel Dual CPU
E220 @ 2.4ghz
2gb RAM

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 pm

Welcome to the Newbies board Joy.

Take a look in the Cafe Board under the "... dinghy" thread for some NE MO flood pictures.

Back to business ...

I assume by "Zen" you mean a Creative Zen MP3 player/digital recorder right? If so, which specific model do you have?

Also did the Zen come with any software for you to install that would facilitate transferring digital files to and from the MP3 player? If so, what is the name of the software.

You mention Real as a software package you have used before. Personally I am not a fan of the Real programs. They tend to bloat a computer with unnecessary "call home" processes and never seem to close the door to Real advertising. With that said though - if you like it we'll try to help you work through the transfer issues you describe.

Question - when you play back a recording (on your Zen) do you have that same "stuck vinyl distortion" you get when the file is played on your computer? If so, the problem lies within the Zen device and or the software running on the MP3 player itself (maybe a configuration setting).

If the distortion is limited only to your computer's playback your problem lies within your computer. It may be a simple playback volume setting or it may be a mixing/volume setting that is too high when your file is transferred from your Zen through the Real software.

Let's hear some answers to the above questions before we go much further.
- Peanut/Larry

joy21942

Postby joy21942 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 am

Peanut wrote:Welcome to the Newbies board Joy.

Take a look in the Cafe Board under the "... dinghy" thread for some NE MO flood pictures.

___
Thanks Larry, That page is what brought me to the site when someone in Center sent it to me.
I am on my way to work today (12 hrs) so cant get to all this right now, I will answer all those questions, some of which I never thought of asking, either when I get home tonight after 8pm, or over the weekend. Now I'm excited I might be able to keep using the Creative Plus 4gig Zen I have!
:D
Joy
___
Back to business ...

I assume by "Zen" you mean a Creative Zen MP3 player/digital recorder right? If so, which specific model do you have?

:D

joy21942

Postby joy21942 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 am

Peanut wrote:Back to business ...

...I have the Creative ZEN v plus 4gig MP3 player.
I am certainly open to using something else.

Peanut wrote:Also did the Zen come with any software for you to install that would facilitate transferring digital files to and from the MP3 player? If so, what is the name of the software.

...Yes, I installed all the software it came with. All I see is the media Explorer, source player/organizer. I use that to access the player & to transfer things from the computer to the player.

Peanut wrote:You mention Real as a software package you have used before. Personally I am not a fan of the Real programs. They tend to bloat a computer with unnecessary "call home" processes and never seem to close the door to Real advertising. With that said though - if you like it we'll try to help you work through the transfer issues you describe.

I don't even know what you mean by "call home" processes, so evidently it hasn't bothered me!
(':oops:'). If I can get any other program that will allow me to edit & save the recording so I can then burn a CD, I'd get it. I do have Windows Media Player, but it is only the free one, & I can't seem to be able to use it to download & edit & save from the player with it. I have iTunes also, but have not figured it out yet. (I *really* am a newbie).

Peanut wrote:Question - when you play back a recording (on your Zen) do you have that same "stuck vinyl distortion" you get when the file is played on your computer?

...When playing back the recording is just great. I have been unable to just "drag" from the player to the CDRW like I would like to. Suppose that is normal.

Peanut wrote:If the distortion is limited only to your computer's playback your problem lies within your computer. It may be a simple playback volume setting or it may be a mixing/volume setting that is too high when your file is transferred from your Zen through the Real software.

...Since I have not changed any of the settings since I started downloading I didnt think of that. This is just a recent happening.

Peanut wrote:Let's hear some answers to the above questions before we go much further.
:?

....Now, if I am too totally ignorant for you to help me, just say so. I have average experience with the computer having owned one since 98 & love using it. Its just this "music" thing that has me stumped. Especially since I am not dealing with music, but with voice audio!
Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I had loaned the player out & had to chase someone down.
joy

[edit] edited to show the quoting :) - gerrit [/edit]

Salmoneye

Postby Salmoneye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Audacity edits (and alot more) and it is free...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

EDIT TO ADD:

Here is the Audacity tutorial that explains splitting long tracks and burning to CD...

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Good call Salmoneye. Audacity is a nice program and you can control the settings completely within it.

And its always on sale ... its free.
- Peanut/Larry

Return to “Audio Board”