Tell me about MP3's

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

Ron/PA
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Tell me about MP3's

Postby Ron/PA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 am

I literally know nothing about these storage devices other than what I hear on the radio and see on the store shelves. I never thought I had an interest in them until just recently I've noticed all the advertisements to download books to an MP3 player and then the interest started to take hold.

How do you download?

Direct to the player or via a computer?

If via computer, can you do this with dialup?

Can you move songs or books off of a player and onto a flash drive or somewhere for storage for later use then put it back later?

Yes I can and will google a lot of this info, but I just wanted some basic starting points from folks that know what it is I'm talking about. :mrgreen:

Thanx

Ron

Gerrit
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Re: Tell me about MP3's

Postby Gerrit » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:08 pm

You download music or audio books to your computer and transfer them from there to your MP3 player.
You also can convert music of CDs to MP3 and transfer them to your player.

Downloading on dial-up? Yes it works but it takes time. A 3, 4 minute song is something like 5 Mb and that can take an hour to download on dial-up.

Storage can be done on your 'puter's harddisk (you can also play MP3 files on your computer - I do it all the time.)
Like any other file you want to keep, you can transfer it to CD ROMs, memory sticks, external harddisks etc.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

wfw

Re: Tell me about MP3's

Postby wfw » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Ron,

I use a program called switch (can be found at 100-downloads.com)to convert my cd songs to mp3 format, it works great but there are other programs that will do the same. I also use a program called mp3gain (google mp3gain to find) to equalize the volume of the mp3 songs. both are free programs. I use the drag and drop method to move the songs to my mp3 players. I have a 1gig, a 2 gig and a 4gig player. the first two are inexpensive and the 4gig is a phillips which will also display pictures and videos. Copying mp3 files to a cd needs to be done as a data file, otherwise the program (like nero) will reconvert it back to regular music for a cd player.

frank

Return to “Audio Board”