Burning audio dvd

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

Pops
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Burning audio dvd

Postby Pops » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 pm

I recently got a request from a friend that I don't know how to answer. Here's the situation: Her late husband was a very good singer and she has some old reel to reel tapes of him singing. She asked me if I could re-record those tapes. So far so good, I told her that was no problem if we have the original reel to reel recorder or a compatible unit. I have done quite a bit of that work with my own old tapes and successfully made a stack of good quality CD's. However, she threw in another condition; she is afraid that CD's will be completely obsolete, so she would rather have DVD's.
I have never burned a DVD.
First, Is there any problem making audio DVD without any video, and of course is there any advantage over a CD?
Second, how do I do it? Do I have to have special software, and if so can anyone recommend a good program?
When I make a CD (after I have edited the recording and created a wav file) I just use Windows XP to burn it.

Peanut

Re: Burning audio dvd

Postby Peanut » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 pm

I don't see any reason why you can't burn audio-only files (wav, mp3, etc) to a blank dvd. The only problem I see is that you must play the dvd in a dvd player ... which can be problematic if you are in a car.

DVDs hold more than a CD so in theory you should be able to get more music/audio-only files on a disc.

You just need a DVD burner, blank DVDs, audio files to burn, and a DVD burning software package to burn them ... such as Nero.
- Peanut/Larry

Mman
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Postby Mman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Pops, Well you could carry her logic one step further and say DVD's wont be with us for very long as they are quickly becoming replaced with Blu-Ray DVD or HD DVD. The uptake of new formats is now so swift as to wonder what is the correct format to record too.

The obsolescence lays not with the disc of course, but with the hardware around in the future to be able to play that disc. I would think like Peanut pointed out in his post, that there is going to be more "Old" hardware around in the future likely to be able to play mp3 CD's than mp3 DVD's.

Why not simply burn her a mp3 Music CD, and then an additional data CD or DVD with the mp3 file/s on it.
In that way the data will most likely still be able to be read by a computer, and in turn be burnt to which ever format is around in the required period of time, plus the fact she will have something to listen to in the "Now".

John. :smt006

Pops

Postby Pops » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:38 pm

John, I have already decided to do what you suggested. I intend to go ahead and make the CD's, then if I want to I can play with the DVD format. Logically, once I have it in digital format I have accomplished the primary objective, which is to preserve the recordings. Those old tapes are high quality but they deteriorate with age and then they are worthless. I have had a lot of trouble with tapes breaking, and every splice makes a bad place in the new recording. Worse, the tape sometimes sticks together and the emulsion comes off. Once that happens there is nothing you can do but throw the tape away.

Return to “Audio Board”