Educate me about MP3 Players, Please...

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

Fawteen
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Educate me about MP3 Players, Please...

Postby Fawteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 pm

My new job involves 10 hour night shifts in a small armory. Due to the construction of the building, radio reception is nil.

I don't really want to be lugging CD's around and remembering to take them home and all that, so I'm thinking maybe an MP3 player would be a solution.

Problem is, I don't know jack about them. Things I'd like to know about include:

I'm pretty hard of hearing, so audiophile sound quality isn't really an issue, but I'd like to get decent reproduction without breaking the bank. What are some decent brands/models and how much should I expect to pay?

How well do the ear buds work? Are they comfortable? Does sound quality vary directly with price or are they pretty much all the same?

I'm guessing the music must be downloaded. How does that work fee-wise, and what are some safe sites to download from? (I've spend a LOT of time un-frigging grandson's computer after he's been on Limewire, for instance)

How rugged are they? I like the idea of portability, being able to stick it in a pocket or hang it off my belt and being able to move around using ear buds.

I don't need to have 50 bajillion songs on it, but I'd like to be able to get through say 3 or 4 hours of listening time without repeating. How much storage capacity should I look for?

Can you manage playlists to create a mix of genre's and have it play randomly? I like Classical, some limited C&W, Bluegrass, 70's and 80's R&R and instrumentals.

Are there other things I should consider?

Thanks in advance...

Fawteen, the Reluctant Yuppie

Patria
Administrator
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Re: Educate me about MP3 Players, Please...

Postby Patria » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Cool post, Fawteen.

The guys should be around shortly... I know Salmoneye listens to music and books in his MP3 player.

Salmoneye

Postby Salmoneye » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Fawteen wrote:What are some decent brands/models and how much should I expect to pay?

I know I'll get vilified here, but...Stay away from anything 'Apple'...The cheaper, the better...I am on my first one that I have had going on 4 years...It cost me $40...It is an RCA 'Pearl'...It came with 1gb internal memory, and a slot to add more memory...I bought a 2gb 'MicroSD' card for it ($10), and am more than happy...It gets used daily for more than an hour...I religiously listen to a podcast of a silly radio show I like, and it has never let me down...I bought my Wife the next gen of the 'Pearl' last year...Hers has a radio tuner also, and she loves it...In contrast, my Sister has gone through 3 iPod shuffles in the same time, with less than a 10th the hours on them...

How well do the ear buds work? Are they comfortable? Does sound quality vary directly with price or are they pretty much all the same?

I need the 'in ear' 'buds' as my ear shape will not hold the ones that just 'hang' on your ear...Mine were $6 from the local drug store...I have gone through 4 sets as I tend to catch the cord on something and rip them out of my ears (or rip the wire out)...

I'm guessing the music must be downloaded. How does that work fee-wise, and what are some safe sites to download from? (I've spend a LOT of time un-frigging grandson's computer after he's been on Limewire, for instance)

It is legal to 'rip' music off your own CD's and save them as MP3 files...I do not pay for music, and there are lots of 'indie' sites that you can legally download music of unknown bands for free...

How rugged are they? I like the idea of portability, being able to stick it in a pocket or hang it off my belt and being able to move around using ear buds.

As I said...I have seen cheapies that last years, and expensive ones that last till the warranty is up...I have dropped my RCA more than once, and I have used it in sub-zero temps and in humid summer air...

I don't need to have 50 bajillion songs on it, but I'd like to be able to get through say 3 or 4 hours of listening time without repeating. How much storage capacity should I look for?

2gb is about right for me...I can live with 1gb...Another thing I LOVE are Audio Books...There is a site called 'Librivox.org' that is created by people reading books and recording themselves...All the books are in the public domain (copyright has lapsed)...

Can you manage playlists to create a mix of genre's and have it play randomly? I like Classical, some limited C&W, Bluegrass, 70's and 80's R&R and instrumentals.

Yes...

Are there other things I should consider?

I will NEVER own a 'player' with an internal battery...

The ones we have use AAA batteries, and one fully charged NiMH will last me appx 6 hours

The only other thing I can think of is 'display font size'...

Make sure YOU can read it or you will be unhappy and struggling...

Buy a cheapy no-name($20) and see if you like it before jumping into anything more expensive...

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I know I'll get vilified here, but...Stay away from anything 'Apple'...The cheaper, the better...I am on my first one that I have had going on 4 years...It cost me $40..

You da MAN! Apple lost me as a customer when I worked for the school. Their product may or may not be better, depending upon the application, but their support policy, prices, business model and the attitude of their techies has ensured that there will NEVER be an Apple product in my home as long as there is any alternative, including doing without.

Mucho good info there, Salmoneye, much appreciated.

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Salmoneye

Postby Salmoneye » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:39 pm

The 'gem' is the one that my WIfe has...My older Pearl has a smaller font and is getting harder to read as I get older...Hers is better font wise...It also has a tuner...and for $30 for a 2gb machine, you can't go wrong as a starter...

Don't get me wrong...

My Kid has an iPod 'Touch', and it is an amazing piece of technology...Let's see how long the battery lasts though...

I just don't 'need' one (or anything Apple) for what I do...

George in TX

Postby George in TX » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Fawteen the one you found sounds good to me. The 2gb memory will hold a lot of music. I have one with 1gb of memory and I've gone eight hours without anything repeating. Mine has an internal battery that is recharged through the USB port on the computer. That's handy and the battery life is at least eight hours plus. The little ear buds with mine are very light weight and comfortable. I sometimes use it at work and keep only one ear bud inserted. That way I can hear conversation around me, if I choose to listen that is. :D Mine is about the size of a domino and weighs almost nothing, fits handily in a shirt pocket.
We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
--Ronald Reagan

Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop
Windows XP Pro v. 2002 SP3
Intel Dual CPU
E220 @ 2.4ghz
2gb RAM

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

Okay, I ordered me up one and a pair of buds.

Now...

I do have some CD's that I'd like to "rip". I'm assuming I'll need software for that.

Recommendations?

Jeff in Tx

Postby Jeff in Tx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:01 am

Fawteen wrote:
I do have some CD's that I'd like to "rip". I'm assuming I'll need software for that.

Recommendations?

No software needed if you have windows media player on your computer. Rip them to the library on media player and plug in the mp3 player and sync them to it. Not hard. You can figure it out real easy.
Well... Ain't that just nice!

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:12 am

Jeff in Tx wrote:No software needed if you have windows media player on your computer. Rip them to the library on media player and plug in the mp3 player and sync them to it. Not hard. You can figure it out real easy.

Yeah, I surfed around and saw that after I posted. Looks pretty simple. Simple is good. Especially for me...

Thanks!

GeneSC

Postby GeneSC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:53 pm

If the earbuds don't work for you try a cheap set of headphones
I don't like the earbuds (can't keep them in) and finally bought a pair of Bose powered headphones AWSOME sound. :mrgreen:
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
Intel (R) core (TM) 2 duo CPU
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

GeneSC

Postby GeneSC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

George in TX wrote:Fawteen the one you found sounds good to me. The 2gb memory will hold a lot of music. I have one with 1gb of memory and I've gone eight hours without anything repeating. Mine has an internal battery that is recharged through the USB port on the computer. That's handy and the battery life is at least eight hours plus. The little ear buds with mine are very light weight and comfortable. I sometimes use it at work and keep only one ear bud inserted. That way I can hear conversation around me, if I choose to listen that is. :D Mine is about the size of a domino and weighs almost nothing, fits handily in a shirt pocket.

George, That the same one you won here??? :wink:
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

George in TX

Postby George in TX » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Yep Gene it's the same one you bought and sent to me. It's still working and I still enjoy it very much.

Um ... er ... Gene you ever gonna swat that fly that keeps buzzing around your screen? :smt006
We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
--Ronald Reagan

Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop
Windows XP Pro v. 2002 SP3
Intel Dual CPU
E220 @ 2.4ghz
2gb RAM

GeneSC

Postby GeneSC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 am

George in TX wrote:
Um ... er ... Gene you ever gonna swat that fly that keeps buzzing around your screen? :smt006

Been tryin to get a rope on that little succah for a long time :smt006
Windows 7 Home Premium
version 2009
Service pack 1
E4400@ 2.00 GHz
4.00GB of Ram 16bit OS

Mman

Postby Mman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Gene Said:I don't like the earbuds (can't keep them in)

John. :mrgreen:

Return to “Audio Board”