Okay, you so smaht!

This is a board for audio questions, discussions covering Apple, Microsoft, and all those in between. Portable, streaming, editing, etc.

Moderator: Peanut

Fawteen
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Okay, you so smaht!

Postby Fawteen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Gotta lotta good advice on MP3 stuff (listening to my player as I type...) so I figure this is the place to ask The Next Question:

Friends of mine have a low-end "surround sound" system for their TV. Unit included VCR and DVD players. VCR has bit the dust, so they bought a new DVD/VCR unit and had me hook the audio into their old Surround Sound system. Got it to work, sorta, but there are two problems:

1. VCR only works via phono-plug cable, won't work via SVIDEO. (DVD works fine via SVIDEO) I'm guessing this is just a "feature" of outdated VCR technology?

2. They want their DirecTV hooked into the same system, and again, without moving SVIDEO or phono cables, I can't see away to accomodate all the connections.

Where they have a new combo VCR/DVD, I'm thinking the solution is a new amp for the surround sound that has adequate inputs to provide video from three sources: VCR, DVD and Satellite box. Another way that occurs to me would be some sort of a switch sort of analogous to a KVM for a computer.

Suggestions? Sources?

Peanut

Re: Okay, you so smaht!

Postby Peanut » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Let me see if I understand this right ...

You have a DVD/VCR combo unit that is attached the to TV using a S-VIDEO cable (no other cables)? And you get DVD video and audio. You get no VCR audio or video unless you use the phono plug cable >>> Is this cable the three plug RCA cable (red, white, and yellow)?

I have never seen a VCR unit that uses S-VIDEO. DVD using S-VIDEO, yes, but not VCR. My guess is the combo has connectors for both because the S-VIDEO is only for the DVD video signal.

I have never seen a DVD or a satellite box connected only with a S-VIDEO cable that plays audio and video - Never seen a setup where audio signals travel a S-VIDEO cable. I've always had to use another cable(s) for audio (like the RCA cables described above).

An HDMI is a digital signal cable that carries both audio and video. If the satellite box has HDMI Output, then a $40 HDMI cable will connect the TV to the Satellite box digitally and not affect the S-VIDEO and RCA cables.

Quality of video signal=
1) RCA cables (lowest quality)
2) S-VIDEO (better than RCA but still not near High Def)
3) HDMI (killer high def - beautiful resolution if your display/tv handles it well)

Quality of audio signal=
1) RCA cables (you get stereo with red and white channels - still low quality)
2) Monster cables (high-end RCS cables) handle much higher "definition" audio frequencies - expensive but worth it
3) HDMI (top of the line) - one cable does audio and video beautifully
- Peanut/Larry

Fawteen

Postby Fawteen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 am

Okay, I was unclear.

We're using high quality RCA cables to get audio from the VCR/DVD combo to the surround-sound box.

SVIDEO to get Video from DVD to TV

RCA to get video from VCR to TV.

What I needed was a way to get the Satellite box hooked into the system as well.

Satellite box has HDMI, IIRC Surround Sound box has HDMI. Not sure about TV. Will check.

Thanks.

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 am

Fawteen, the other method I didn't include on my two little lists is:

Coax cable. Covers audio and video. Quality-wise... Video probably a bit less quality than S-VIDEO, audio probably a bit better than standard RCA cables. No doubt the TV and the satellite box have a coax input and output.
- Peanut/Larry

bwillett
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Postby bwillett » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:37 am

Let me dip my oar in the water, here.
I had to run the Direct TV through the VCR and then out to the rest of the system, excepting, I don't have a surround sound system, I just run it through my regular stereo...And all I use is regular RCA plugs and wiring...not the best, but sufficient for me... :smt002
Desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium
Version Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz., 2.87 GB of Ram

"Maybe life is not the party that we were expecting, but in the mean time, we're here and we can still dance....."

Return to “Audio Board”