Phone call from Microsoft?

Experienced users ( and newbies! ) discuss computer related subjects.

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

Ann
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Phone call from Microsoft?

Postby Ann » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Well, when the phone rang and it said Microsoft, I thought what the heck? So I answered it, and someone with a heavy accent started trying to make me believe that my computer was being hacked by Mexican hackers. Wanted me to boot my pc so they could help me get rid of the hackers. Yeah, right! So I said that I have good protection on my computer and that NO, I will not turn my computer on now. Whoever it was had hung up as soon as I said no.

So, I just changed some passwords, will be very vigilant over the next few days, and am running Avast with Malwarebytes coming up next.

Just a reminder, just because a phone call seems innocent doesn't mean it is. I didn't wait around to see, but I am pretty sure that staying on the line and saying yes at any time, might have locked my pc up.

Ann, who doesn't always believe what is told her by a stranger.
Wisdom comes from what you learn in your life.

hopeless

Re: Phone call from Microsoft?

Postby hopeless » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I get these a lot too. Usually I just hang up but now and then I'll respond with some snarky nonsense. I have a Mac but have never said that because I'm afraid they'll just put me on another list for Apple users. In your case, Ann, you could tell them you are using a Mac.
I have gotten on-screen messages to call a certain number about my Mac needing service. The first time it happened I called Apple with the phone number in my Mac literature. They told me they would never do that and advised me to shut down my computer and start it again. So that's what I do. Apple had no interest in the phone number the bad guys gave me.
Hope

Pogo said, “We have met the enemy and he is us.”

Ann

Re: Phone call from Microsoft?

Postby Ann » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 am

Hope, I seldom answer a phone call if I don't have a name for the number. And I've always been shy of pop-ups that tell me my computer is being attacked. But yesterday's call from *Microsoft* got to me, and I just went ahead and answered the phone. But so far, I haven't seen any problems with my phone or my computer. Got my fingers crossed, and my fences up.

Ann
Wisdom comes from what you learn in your life.

Return to “Technical discussions”