How to Zero Out Memory

Experienced users ( and newbies! ) discuss computer related subjects.

Moderators: Peanut, Gerrit

larry_b

How to Zero Out Memory

Post by larry_b » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi!

This question may have been answered sometime in the 13 years I have belonged to this forum, but I can't recall. I have a friend who gave me a computer to donate to an organization to which I belong. She very much wants to make sure that none of her personal information is on the machine. I know that ordinary formatting does not erase the information, only the registries. Is there a way to zero out the memory? I am sure there is. What is the best way?
Larry

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Nietzsche

larry_b

Re: How to Zero Out Memory

Post by larry_b » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Also, I am not sure that I need to reformat the hard drive. It may be possible for me to just erase sensitive files and directories. I have been looking at SDELETE. It may be nice to keep some non-sensitive files or directories. Any comments?
Larry

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Nietzsche

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Somehow I missed this one, sorry...

Sdelete sounds like a good option. Formatting the hard disk will also delete Windows and re-installing it can be a pain in the behind...
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

larry_b

Post by larry_b » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Gerrit wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm
Somehow I missed this one, sorry...
No worries! You have always been good to me! Thanks for the info on SDelete.
Larry