Backing up contacts on Android

Tips and tricks for all mobile devices
Mystery_Girl
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Backing up contacts on Android

Postby Mystery_Girl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Everyone. I just bought a new smart phone and to cut a long story short lost some of my contacts on my previous phone because i didn't do a backup. I am now looking at some 'safe' ways of transferring contacts from my phone to my laptop. Is a cloud the best option?

Gerrit

Re: Backing up contacts on Android

Postby Gerrit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

The easiest way to save your contacts on an Android phone is by synchronizing them via your gmail account.
Since the phone has to be tied to a gmail account anyway using this method is the most simple (and pretty much secure) way.

If you still have your old phone connect it to the internet via WiFi. Next go to settings - accounts - Google and switch the Contacts button to 'on'.
The phone will now synchronize all your contacts to your gmail account.
I'm assuming that your new phone is tied to the same gmail account (if not, change it so it is). Check if Contacts synchronizing is set to 'on' on that phone. If not, switch it to 'on' and all your contacts will be available in the new phone after synchronizing has finished.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Mystery_Girl

Re: Backing up contacts on Android

Postby Mystery_Girl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 am

Hi Gerrit -

The problem is that my old phone went totally kaput and i can't access anything on it. Thank you for the info. I will work on that.

My other question is about whatsapp chat backup. I know these can be emailed individually and I have started to save them on drive as well but i read today that each time drive saves a set of chats, the previous one is deleted. Is that correct? I need to refer to them for work reasons so i need to work out a reliable way to save and access them if my phone no longer works (like my previous one).

Return to “Tablets and smart phones”