Installing battery on an Android tablet

Tips and tricks for all mobile devices
larry_b
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Installing battery on an Android tablet

Postby larry_b » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi!

I have an Android tablet that I got free about three years ago when I changed phone plans. It worked for about six months and then I could not charge it anymore. That is, it would not take a charge. I am thinking about installing a new battery, but I am concerned that any software on the table is long gone. How would one get new software? The battery is around $15.00 and the kit to take the tablet apart is around $13.00. I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile doing this vs purchasing a new tablet. Any thoughts?
Larry

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Nietzsche

Gerrit

Re: Installing battery on an Android tablet

Postby Gerrit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Which brand and model?
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

larry_b

Postby larry_b » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Gerrit,

Thanks for the response! It is a an LG. Don't know the model, because I cannot turn it on.
Larry

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all. -- Nietzsche

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am

OK..

Anyway, the OS, apps and data are stored on SD card like chips and that should not be affected from a lack of power. I'd give a new battery a try..
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

larry_b

Postby larry_b » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Gerrit,

Thanks! I just purchased a smart phone and tablet repair kit to see which battery to order. :)
Larry

larry_b

Postby larry_b » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 am

Hi,

I have good news! My android tablet is now working. I sent away for some tools to open up the tablet and then went out to Youtube to find a video that showed how to take a tablet apart. Before I opened up the video I noticed on the right hand side a video with the caption of, " reasons a tablet isn't charging". I thought, "Let's check this out." Anyway, it was invaluable. I thought all USB ports were created equal. That is not the case. I was using a USB Port that was charging at 0.2 amps. It turns out that the tablet needed the USB charger it came with, which charged at 1.2 amps. A big difference for sure. Well I plugged the tablet into the charger it came with and it charged the tablet like a charm. I am ecstatic! Now I have a working tablet! :D
Larry

Gerrit

Postby Gerrit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm

That's good news! Yeah, USB charging generally goes better with a power supply..
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “Tablets and smart phones”