Phoenix Linux to Mint

Discuss Linux and get help with problems

Moderator: Salmoneye

Hi-Pockets
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Phoenix Linux to Mint

Postby Hi-Pockets » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 pm

I bought a used Lenovo T460 laptop with an SSD 256GB hard drive that is dual boot Windows 10 and Phoenix. Phoenix looks like it is of no value so if I'm going to have Linux I want to try Mint. Phoenix was not in a separate partition and it wasn't in Programs and Features. So I located a folder and a file and deleted them. The dual boot still comes up but of course nothing is in the Phoenix.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants! Now I want to install Mint. Do I have to get rid of the dual boot that is on the laptop now and if so how or can I make a partition on the hard drive, install Mint and have it show up as the dual boot?

If you're not tired of me by now you probably will be soon! Thank you for any help you can give.
Hi-Pockets

Gerrit
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Re: Phoenix Linux to Mint

Postby Gerrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Sorry I'm late, I've been busy...

I'd suggest to first try Linux Mint from a USB stick and see if you like it before you go through the process of installing it.
Do you know how to make a live USB stick? If not here is the procedure (assuming the Lenovo uses UEFI and not BIOS): https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084
You'll need the live USB anyway if you are going to install it, so it's no waste of time and resources. :)

If you like Mint and want to install it om the SSD you will need to partition it - I can help with that.
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Gerrit
Enter the number thirty two: 32

Postby Gerrit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Meanwhile I'd suggest to get EasyBCD (free version), a utility to control your bootloader. When you run it you should find two entries, one for Windows and another one for Phoenix. Get rid of the Phoenix entry. http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
HP Z220CMT workstation
Core i-7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM - 2x2 1TB RAID1 HD
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" &
Windows 7 Professional &
Windows 10 Professional

Hi-Pockets
Enter the number thirty two: 0

Postby Hi-Pockets » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Gerrit thank you for the information. You are running a business to make a living and I'm just playing so no problem you can't beat free help. I will make a bootable flash drive and install Linux Mint Cinnamon and see what I can learn. Also I will download Easy BCD and I'm happy to know that will delete Phoenix. Soon I'll be back with more questions! Thanks again Gene
Hi-Pockets

Return to “Linux board”